[Noisebridge-discuss] Looking for a non-portable laptop for "Spore" - Battery not required

Corey McGuire coreyfro at coreyfro.com
Wed Jul 15 17:00:24 UTC 2009

So I promised a bright, young son of a friend of mine that I was going to
help him get a computer so that he could play Spore, Portal, Sim-whateva,
and other edu-mcmuffin games.  Kid lives in a tiny room, so I need to get
him something no larger than an iMac.  Thus, I am looking, primarily, at
laptops.

I have been trying to talk his mother in to getting what this child would
need, and I would work through whatever gift-certificate function required
to acquire this system.  Specifically, I was looking at Newegg, but I'm not
married to that idea.

The more and more I talk to his mother, the more and more I realized she is
shopping for a laptop for herself.  This is NOT what I opted in for.

So, I am asking the communities of geeks I am closest to dig though their
closets full of computers and find one with the following requirements:

   - Can play spore
   - Is a laptop or a tiny all in one iMac like thingy
   - Hard drive not required, I intend to install a new one (to extend mean
   time to failure)
   - Doesn't need to have a functional battery.

In fact, I'm going to rip the *GODDAMNED* battery terminals out with my
teeth (*RAWR*) so this system can't be made portable.

The minimum requirements is a laptop with the following video chipsets:

*Supported Video Cards*
NVIDIA GeForce series
FX 5900, FX 5950
6200, 6500, 6600, 6800,
7200, 7300, 7600, 7800, 7900, 7950
8400, 8500, 8600, 8800
9600, 9800, GTX 260, GTX 280

Obviously, these are the Desktop chips, but if you know your laptops, then
you'll know if you have a comparable mobile version of these chips.

So if you have a laptop with a fried wireless nic, dead battery, or is
otherwise unsuited for your needs and doesn't have real value, BUT has one
of these video cards, I will gladly take it off your hands.  If it still has
some value, I am willing to negotiate if it has a really decent video chip.

Thanks!

--
Success is a tasty spirit distilled from bitter failure
--Coreyfro