[Noisebridge-discuss] Membership consensus and blocking

Ceren Ercen ceren at magnesium.net
Mon Jul 20 18:59:27 UTC 2009

I'm not trying to start another flamewar, I promise. Requisite smiley
goes here. :)

But in the interest of sanity, I'd like to remind the membership and
potential membership of (what is at least my understanding) the approval
process.

1) Dear Member, if you're not happy about an incoming member candidate,
it is Your Responsibility To Try To Work Your Shit Out with that person
in the 4-week period between the name being entered in the binder, and
the consensus vote.

Yes, Member, you're expected to be the bigger person and step up and try
to fix whatever drama you have, or at least resolve it in a reasonably
mutual way that doesn't leave you feeling uneasy about that person's
membership.

You are in the advantaged position in this situation, so take the lead
in trying to resolve things. This might not always end up working, but
you are expected to give it a genuine good-faith effort.

2) Let's halt this fast-tracking members crap. Yes, it seems like a
clever way to hold a impromptu rah-rah vote-of-confidence in
SomeNewPerson's being a CoolDude. However, I think it actually sucks. A
lot.

(I'm seriously planning to block the next early-induction attempt. I
haven't yet because I didn't want it to be about any person in
particular, and explaining myself at the time would be putting that
person up for membership in an unjustly awkward spot.)

- If you're a member and can't make it to the space within a month, and
haven't met the new person or read the binder in that time, tough
noogies. But if you're a member and you haven't made it to the space in
a week or two, you suddenly get no input on an incoming member's
vote/consensus? That's sucky.

- Going back to "It's your responsibility to work shit out," the
fast-tracking gives current members no chance to Work Shit Out with an
incoming member, instead forcing them to make a Big Deal and publicly
block consensus. Not cool, putting both the current and incoming members
on the spot like that. We have a process that lets current members avoid
being the Bad Guy, and I don't think we should be casually taking that
privilege away.

" If an existing member has a problem with one of the applicants,
they should take time during that month to try and resolve the problem."
https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Noisebridge_Membership

tl;dr,
- Ceren