[Noisebridge-discuss] Dear Noisebridge-Discuss, an apology...

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 01:00:34 UTC 2009

Thank you Ani, although I think your apology is entirely unnecessary.

It's unfortunate that the important meaningful discussions you raise get
broken down to such mindlessness.  We've developed a sudden rash of trolls
that appear to be jumping on anything except the most technical of
discussions.  Case in point Jason's disturbing response to this.  Don't hold
yourself responsible for other people's behavior.

I'm a little surprised and dismayed at this turn, as it appears to be an
overall attack on the sociality of the group.  I am adamantly opposed to
censoring the discuss list, as I'm sure pretty much everyone else is here as
well, so this issue needs to be dealt with in kind if this is to remain a
viable communication medium. (i.e. maintain any subscribers at all)

I'm willing to wager the subscribership has/will fall significantly over
recent days.

And I'd advise the trolls do a little more reading in social engineering
before they dig themselves a deeper hole, assuming that's what they're
trying to do. There's plenty of literature out there, of all different
stripe, from hacker conference talks to peer-reviewed psychology and
sociology journals.  I don't think there's anything published that suggests
high volume trolling as a means to any sustained engagement with a group.

Although there is a fair amount published in regard to this tool being used
specifically to destroy groups.  I would certainly hope that one we've
accepted as our own is not deliberately trying to break us apart.

Oh, and in case the various parsimonious trolls couldn't figure this out,
this message is not a troll, but an apparently vain attempt at suggesting
change so as to mitigate damage to your reputation and tolerance of the
group.  We don't expect everyone to have all the social skills in the world
to interact here, but we do expect them to at least have the willingness to
accept constructive criticism in the vein it was intended.

Christie

---
Disrupting paradigms since 1967