[Noisebridge-discuss] mercury on the table?

Josh Myer josh at joshisanerd.com
Fri Jul 3 01:36:39 UTC 2009

It was under a quarter cc of Hg.  I have seen it and held it in my
hands.  It's still in the space in a sealed tupperware container
inside a sealed ziploc baggie, if you would like to inspect it for
yourself.  It is an inconsequential amount of mercury, short of
putting it in a vaporizer and huffing it.

While it is worrisome that this happened without anyone knowing (or
accepting responsibility), the overall reaction seems to have been
uninformed and driven by fear, instead of respect for the materials
involved.  We have lessons to learn, but none of them are specific to
mercury, its vapors, or its cleanup.  We should discuss those lessons,
but this thread is the wrong place for it, and at this time the
reaction to this incident still a sore spot among too many people.

As for actions to be taken, no one I view as reasonable has felt the
need for anything more than the cleanup that was performed and some
preparedness in case we need another cleanup.  This seems to be the
majority view among our membership and guests/friends of the space.

As I don't believe there's anything to discuss, nor any action to be
taken, this email thread is dead to me, and to any reasonable user of
our space.

Everyone is welcome to their own conclusions and actions, but my
understanding is that vast majority of us don't feel the need for any
further discussion or action.  Those of you who disagree are welcome
to form your own mailing list and stop wasting the time and goodwill
of 300 people.

Cuddles and bunnies,
--
Josh Myer   650.248.3796