[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge and Education

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 20:46:31 UTC 2009

Oh, what I could say to this if I had infinite time.  Nevertheless, I think
it's really useful to consider our options.

Personally, I never considered learning in anything other than a schoolroom
teacher/student paradigm until I went to learn International Folk Dance
where they had a lot of people who liked to do it but not a lot of people at
any given time who wanted to learn.  I found I was picking stuff up pretty
fast by just following people.  Then I moved to where there were and started
taking classes, which I promptly learned to loathe.  It took me a while to
figure out why I liked the first stuff better, but it resulted in
considering what it meant to learn, as well as the best way to learn.

I also wanted to throw in a few more models that I've observed in
anthropology, although I have not specifically studied too much pedagogical
anthro:

6) Apprenticeship: Where a novice learns by practice and loose direction
from a master.  Although a master may have many apprentices, the
relationship between the master and apprentice is personal and specific.
The master will generally define specific exercises for the apprentice to
address on their own.

7) Community learning:  There is a large community of knowledgeable people
and young members learn by following multiple teachers.  There is no
explicit relationship between those who have the knowledge and those who
learn it, although occasionally someone will step out and demonstrate
something tricky.  It's often mistaken for 'self-taught' for this reason,
but the knowledge comes from the community, rather than effort of the
newcomer.  It is interesting to note that the vast majority of cultural
knowledge is spread this way.  In fact, the vast majority of what people
know is learned via community learning.

Christie

---
Disrupting paradigms since 1967