[Noisebridge-discuss] Space viewing report: 2169 Mission

Jeffrey Malone ieatlint at tehinterweb.com
Sat Jul 11 03:55:09 UTC 2009

Okay, so I think it all looks very promising as well.

It sounds vaguely like a "fixer-upper", which for us wouldn't be a bad
thing.  Most else we've been looking at is $1-2k/mo more, and even
with the costs needed to fix this place up it sounds like we'd be
doing great in no time.

Two criticisms/concerns I've heard are:

The floors.  Potentially weak, potentially noisy.  Weak floors are
nothing we can help, but if the noise for the floors proves
problematic, we can likely install some of that cheap carpet you see
in workplaces everywhere that should dull them.  Of course, with a
shop below us, we shouldn't have many complaints overall.

Crime.
The area is known for drugs -- not that Wiese St isn't.  But instead
of people using, you get selling, and shit that happens around that.
Some time spent on SF's crime map site show that the walk from BART to
this place is more dangerous than to 83c (which is kinda predictable
since 83c is so close to BART).
http://www.sfgov.org/crimemaps to check it yourself (doesn't support
direct links).

I ran that searching for all incidents in a 500ft radius of Mission St
& 17th St, which put the top of the radius just below 16th St BART and
just at 18th St & Mission, thus basically covering the walk that we'd
be doing that we aren't already.  Over the past 30 days, there've been
51 incidents, mostly drugs.
When you take out drugs, vandalism, auto theft and larceny, you get
only 11 incidents: 6 assaults, 5 robberies.
None of the incidents involved the use of guns, and only one involved
a weapon (a robbery that had a knife).  The robberies happened
primarily between 7 and 9pm (3 of them), and around 3:30am (the other
2).  The assaults happened at all hours.

In general, I'd say that that is not particularly bad.  I would guess
the assaults were mainly related to drug trafficking.  The robberies
are certainly worrisome, but probably as good as we'll find at any
potential location in our price range.
This also assumes that all the robberies were reported to SFPD, which
may or may not be the case.

In the area, the worst crime reported in the past 90 days is an
attempted rape and homicide on Capp St between 17th St and 18th St on
May 13 (no weapon involved, for whatever that's worth).

Anyway, I think the viewing on Tuesday will be very telling.  We
should bring together our questions, and perhaps have a single person
selected to talk with the guy so that we can simplify interactions.  I
have it placed on the meeting agenda as a topic for consensus.  This
will allow us to have consensus on it a week from Tuesday, July 21, if
we feel that we want to move on this place.   The one week downtime
should do well for us to think clearly about the 3 year lease we would
be discussing.
I encourage any members with reservations to get informed as possible
and be there for the viewing.  If you can't, talk to people who will
be there and make sure your questions get answered and your concerns
addressed as early as possible.

Jeffrey