[Noisebridge-discuss] Space viewing report: 2169 Mission

Sai Emrys noisebridge at saizai.com
Sat Jul 11 21:11:19 UTC 2009

One other question: what about budget?

AFAICT from the last circulated budget, current rent is ~$2k, income
~$4.5k, expense ~$3.4k, so profit ~$1.1k but with variance +/- $2k.
This'd add $1.5k/mo expense, probably increase ancillary costs as well
(electricity, heating, etc).

It's a good deal in terms of $/sqft, so in that sense it's cheap. My
question is simply whether we presently have the funds to commit to
that extra 1.5k/mo for 3 years. It seems to me that the numbers since
Dec 08 say 'no'; we'd be short ~$600/mo, esp. considering we'll have
some outlay costs in renovation.

OTOH, I don't know what the $12k donation in Oct 08 was, whether
that's repeatable, or whether we have angels who'd be willing to
sponsor the space upgrade. And it's very hard to predict whether
expanding our space would lead to expanding membership as well. At
current rates, the rent increase alone would require ~18 new members
to be paid off.

FWIW though, this is a point in favor of having renters of some sort,
perhaps some sort of ongoing temporary lodging for travelers /
between-places people if not live-ins per se. (All the points raised
on this earlier in this thread are quite well made though, IMO.
Clearly it's not a simple choice.) Given the sort of tools we'd have
around, renting out the shop or the like may also be a viable source
of extra income - though that's a bit socially odd, given the current
mores on use of the space.

- Sai