[Noisebridge-discuss] Space viewing report: 2169 Mission

d p chang weasel at meer.net
Mon Jul 13 05:32:21 UTC 2009

Andy Isaacson <adi at hexapodia.org> writes:

> On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 08:57:53PM -0700, Dr. Jesus wrote:
>> >
>> > An excellent question, am adding answer to the wiki.
>> >
>> > There is a freight elevator which goes from the street-level
>> > "lobby" to the third floor. ?I don't know if it will comply with
>> > the letter of the law on ADA issues, but I do believe it will be
>> > practically useable to enable weelchair users to access the third
>> > floor.
>> >
>> > (The elevator is lacking "call" buttons, so you have to ride it
>> > down and then back up if it's not already on the first floor.)
>>
>> I think what Andy means is that it doesn't have call buttons *yet*.
>
> It's an elevator.  If it breaks, people can die.  Please don't hack
> the elevator unless you're a certified elevator technician (or
> whatever relevant terminology should be applied).

just as a side note, having gone through some hassle a while back having
to do w/ an elevator (not in sf though), inspectors/landlords/actual
technicians/etc get a little crabby about unauthorized tinkering
(regardless of the 'working-ness' and the fact that the
now-functioning-phone thingee had nothing to do w/ the elevator
mechanism).

\p
---
Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you
do it. - Mahatma Gandhi