[Noisebridge-discuss] WASTE Mac'n'Cheese v1.1

Sai Emrys noisebridge at saizai.com
Tue Jul 21 08:27:06 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 11:38 PM, Rubin Abdi<rubin at starset.net> wrote:
> During Toorcamp, on one of the last days, Miloh and Grey made some vegan
> mac and cheese. Some folks were so pleased by the dish, they wanted to
> know where it came from and the recipe itself. Well here it is...
>
> http://www.waste.org/~oxymoron/recipes/macncheese.html

Just made this. Absolutely delicious.

I substituted ~2tsp cayenne pepper for chopped pepper, and butter for
margarine (I didn't have either, and I'm vegetarian not vegan so I
don't care about butter v. margarine).

One thing that surprised me was that when I added the water, it
instantly turned from smooth thick liquid into a very thick
mashed-potatoes-like texture. Had to be careful mixing in the water
gradually; using a bigger pot would've been good (I misjudged how big
the recipe was). I think it's a bit much for a single package of pasta
(I'm eating it with ~1/2 pack of gnocci and only needed a bit), but I
guess taste varies on that. In any case, it's definitely good enough
that I'll want to have it again later.

So: thanks for sharing, this was my dinner tonight.

And thanks again to the NB Toorcamp cooks for the food. It was much
better than the backpacker fare I brought with me. ;-)

- Sai