[Noisebridge-discuss] Another try at a Ruby group...

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 27 05:37:49 UTC 2009

> From: noisebridge at saizai.com
> Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 21:38:14 -0700
> Subject: Re: [Noisebridge-discuss] Another try at a Ruby group...
> To: maltman23 at hotmail.com
> CC: zeptozorro at whitericer.com; noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net
>
> On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 8:52 PM, Mitch Altman<maltman23 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I have a bunch of files of binary files that contain data I recorded from
> > universal remote controls.  I'd like to digest this data, massage the data
> > into a more useable format, and write the massaged data into text files.
> >
> > In the past I would have done this in C++, since I know it well.  But Ruby
> > seems like it would be a good way to get this project done much quicker and
> > easier.  You think that's true?
>
> What sort of binary data is this? My offhand guess is that if it's
> from an IR recording it'll take some fairly specific massage to be
> turned into data packets...
>
> If you can do that massage (or know the spec for how to), then sure
> Ruby will do it. Seems more of a libraries issue than a language
> issue, really.
>
> http://github.com/fugalh/lircr/ (dependent on http://www.lirc.org/)
> seems like what you'll need. I don't know anything RC-related well
> enough to vet it, but could help you with anything that's Ruby
> specific.
>
> If that does parse the binary in the way you want, then yes,
> outputting to any sane text file format will be a cinch.
>
> - Sai

I know exactly how I would like to massage the data, and exactly how I would like to output the data to a text file (in my own format, specific for my firmware to make use of) -- so that isn't a problem at all for me.  It's just learning to use Ruby that has stopped me from proceeding (even though I'm sure it is easy enough, especially with the help of some friendly NB folks).

Thanks,

Mitch.