[Noisebridge-discuss] Another try at a Ruby group...

Lamont Lucas lamont at cluepon.com
Tue Jul 28 00:07:45 UTC 2009

Christoph Maier wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-07-26 at 20:52 -0700, Mitch Altman wrote:
>
>> I have a bunch of files of binary files that contain data I
>> recorded from universal remote controls.  I'd like to digest this
>> data, massage the data into a more useable format, and write the
>> massaged data into text files.
>>

> Too bad you're not trying this in Python.

I'm going to try and make it for the ruby class, if nothing else so I
can figure out how to do bit manipulation easily in ruby (or something
that looks like The Ruby Way)

I was writing a library for a bioloid AX-12+ digital servo network, and
I started in ruby cause I like writing it, but quickly got frustrated
trying to do fine-grained bit operations.  I was using
http://bit-struct.rubyforge.org/

At the time (about a year ago) it seemed like there were a ton more
python libraries to write an arbitrary binary serial protocol and expose
that as an object interface in a clean and logical way.  That, plus the
fact that python seemed to have a great adoption rate in ops work, made
me focus more on python.

But being self-taught, I probably missed the easiest and obvious way to
do it in ruby, and let my lack of experience tell me that what I was
trying was "impossible" and gave up too early.