[Noisebridge-discuss] MathML

Ka-Ping Yee noisebridge at zesty.ca
Wed Jul 29 18:45:09 UTC 2009

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009, Jeff Younker wrote:
> On Jul 29, 2009, at 10:58 AM, Jason Dusek wrote:
>
>>  Right now, the formal methods group does all our work with
>>  pencil and paper. But shouldn't we be using an electronic
>>  format? What experience do folks have with MathML?
>
> If I had to use an electronic markup I'd be partial to Mathematica
> or Mathcad.   MathML is an interchange form, but I'd hate to
> write it by hand.

A long time ago when I was younger and brasher, I made up a syntax
for math in web documents.

     http://minse.org/

I brought it to the W3C Math working group in 1996.  But XML was all
the rage then, and they wanted to use XML.  So they invented MathML,
which paid all the costs of XML (extreme verbosity) and gained none
of the benefits (MINSE is extensible and MathML is not).

And the rest, sadly, is history.

If anyone is interested in taking MINSE and helping make it a reality,
let me know.  You're welcome to take any/all of it and do anything you
want with it.

-- ?!ng