[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge Day Care Center

aestetix aestetix aestetix at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 04:01:29 UTC 2009

Greetings Noisebridge,

It has come to my attention that a lot of children have expressed
interest in hanging out at Noisebridge. I think this is terrific, as
it both creates a family-friendly environment akin to the Maker Faire,
and it enables the teaching of youth required for the continuity of
hacker culture.

As it stands, Noisebridge is not set up for children, and the space is
rather prohibitive towards kids in general. I think many parents who
want to be involved would agree that being able to drop off their kids
at Noisebridge while they are at work, especially as we enter the
summer season, would be excellent in encouraging this potential.

Therefore, I propose we create a day care center within Noisebridge.
Based on how well we handled the parties during Maker Faire, it seems
that we have sufficient room to set aside social space for this. In
fact, given that the hardware workshop contains the most dangerous
equipment, and also has a solid barrier as well as transparent
windows, it seems only natural to perhaps convert it. We can also
contact local schools and have them send kids to join our space who
would otherwise be forced to wander the Mission.

We have several parents on this list who could probably offer
fantastic tips on this, or maybe even volunteer to be a "guardian".
The comments posted on the listserv in the past 4 days prove this.

Would anyone be interested in stepping forward and leading this effort?

-aestetix