[Noisebridge-discuss] Shop Class tonight, Friday June 5th @ 8pm

John Magolske listmail at b79.net
Sat Jun 6 00:17:19 UTC 2009

This is a reminder about the Shop class this evening, Friday from 8-9pm
at 83C Wiese St, near 16th & Mission in SF [1].

The plans have changed a bit. Initially the focus was to be on making
a Drill Gage, but the feedback I got from some was that this wasn't
necessarily the first choice of something to make.

Ideally, everyone involved would create something they're excited
about using in their day-to-day life. So, tonight we'll be going
over some additional projects and soliciting ideas from others.

Two additional ideas for your consideration:
* Vegetable scraper (a healthier alternative to a vegetable peeler)
* Portable Book Press (for making pocket booklets)

I'll be going over how to create detailed, dimensioned drawings that
define physical parts. If there's something you'd like to make, bring
it (a physical sample to reverse-engineer or a concept in your head)
along & we can start drawing it up. Two ideas people have expressed
interest in are a Tin Whistle and a Bottle Opener.

I will continue to be available for those interested in making the
Drill Gage. Not sure how much time I'll have for that tonight, we'll
play it by ear.

Tonight's class will focus on selecting, designing & specifying
physical objects. And how to scrape the peel off a carrot.

The goal of the class ongoing is to cover the basics of how to:

* use fabrication tools: hacksaw, vise, drill press, bench grinder
* use some layout tools: machinist's square, scriber, centerpunch
* understand and follow safe shop practices
* read a blueprint
* create dimensioned drawings that fully define a mechanical part

~ John

[1] https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Getting_Here

--
John Magolske