[Noisebridge-discuss] New space thread

Matt Peterson matt at peterson.org
Sat Jun 20 00:17:47 UTC 2009

Hey all,

I went to the space last night, for the first time in about 3 months
(world traveling for work).  I recently got a chance to re-visit CCC
Berlin, C-Base and of course the infamous Metalab.  It's beyond clear
to me, seeing these spaces again and our existing one; we clearly need
a larger footprint...

I apologies if these questions/thoughts have already been clarified in
a meeting or other threads, I might have missed them:

* The existing lease ends in September?  Can the lease be posted to
see if an early opt-out clause exists vs. rumors of one; or atleast
some "officially from the board" statement on this?

* Generally SMB and personal moves overlap a few weeks or full month
to move between spaces; do we have a consensus or strong feelings if
more time is desired (along with the large budget strains this would
imply)?

* Many of the potential spaces listed on the wiki are of an industrial
business nature with landlords shooting for 5 year terms.  Would be
possible to work out terms somewhere along the line of the first month
free to prepare the space (wiring, lighting, other infrastructure but
"not used") along with 1yr first lease term, followed by 3 or 4 more
years if we don't outgrow it again?  I ask since I have no experience
negotiating these style of leases.

* Rumors has it a verbal fundraising round occurred at a meeting some
months ago to jumpstart to "fill the kitty" with money for this.  Has
this actually occurred?  If not (doesn't appear to based on the
recently published budget), can we start this process ASAP?

* Assuming we stay in The Mission, it would be ideal to have roof
rights for antennas.  In particular, having line-of-sight directly to
the Valencia Gardens (15th/Valencia) or City College (22nd/Valencia)
or other City of SF fiber nodes would be useful for the possibility of
uber fast interwebs.  This generally requires promising the landlord
you won't make the roof leaf and an update to insurance.  I've added a
section on the wiki to note that panoramic-ish pictures from rooftops
would be great for future space tours.

--Matt