[Noisebridge-discuss] Proliant and Cisco gear

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Mon Jun 1 21:28:27 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 01, 2009 at 02:00:38PM -0700, Dr. Jesus wrote:
> Does anyone know who owns the proliant upstairs and the Cisco 26xx
> series devices downstairs?

They were donated to Noisebridge.  There were various plans to use them
for various projects, but if hardware has been at NB
1. not on a shelf
2. without a sign
3. without visible use for a month
, it's fair game for repurposing.  (Your mail alerting about possible
reuse is a great way to Be Excellent, of course.)

BTW, I've noticed a bunch of networking / computing gear with fans being
installed in the downstairs networking closet.  I would highly recommend
that people not install gear with fans in that closet:

1. the wood/metal shop is very likely to cause your fans to become full
of crap and stop working, and/or short out your power supplies.
2. the building floods in that corner every spring.

We installed a *lot* of spare Cat5 capacity between the upstairs and
downstairs closets specifically so that there was no need to put more
gear downstairs.  Please just use the patch panel (label your patches or
they'll be removed!) and install gear upstairs instead.

(Of course things like DOCSIS mean that we need *some* gear downstairs,
but it should be
1. fanless
2. mounted on the wall or high up in the cabinet.)

-andy