[Noisebridge-discuss] unannounced groups of non-members at Noisebridge (esp. kids)

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Mon Jun 1 22:52:17 UTC 2009

Al Billings wrote:
> On 6/1/09 3:20 PM, Christie Dudley wrote:
>> You hit the nail on the head as to what I was thinking, aestetix.  I
>> just spent the weekend peeling children off of heavy sharp metal balls
>> only to have their parents complain to me that their children not be
>> treated thus (if they even notice).  I say our obs should not be
>> treated thus.  We pretty much came to the consensus that the orbs were
>> not for children, and it was a mistake to ever think otherwise.
>>
>> Noisebridge is not FOR children.  It is for hackers.  Helping people
>> to understand this prevents Bad Things.
>
> And I'll repeat what I said in channel the other day. When my 13 year
> old daughter is in town, I'm going to feel free to bring her by
> Noisebridge unless we, in consensus, make a no kids policy that includes
> the children of members. I know Grey feels the same as well with his kids.

Of course!

It should probably be clear to everyone that we're a pretty open space.

I sure hope that we have children interested in hacking or we're all
going to start sounding like ol' unix beards in no time flat.

Many children have been part of Noisebridge because of their parents. A
few of those kids have been around as long as Noisebridge itself. While
none of them are members, many people come to the space who are not
members. We should respect all of those people and not treat any of
those humans differently. Why should we? Our feelings on a
generalization of their age?

If there's a specific conflict with a child, with children or some
parental unit, lets resolve it?

Best,
Jake