[Noisebridge-discuss] unannounced groups of non-members at Noisebridge (esp. kids)

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Mon Jun 1 22:54:52 UTC 2009

Christie Dudley wrote:
> Exactly.  I think there were about a dozen kids all weekend that I enjoyed
> seeing run the orbs.  We had some good questions and some, not many, kids
> came away with more understanding of robotics.  It's sad that the vast
> majority prevents us from sharing with this worthy minority.
>
> Then again, we all know hackerspaces aren't for all people or we wouldn't
> have our membership process.  Parents who believe the world should revolve
> around their child don't understand this.

We have these processes because they're required by law (we have to have
a membership process of some sort). I personally really rage against the
idea of having anything that isn't totally esoteric; I dislike ladders
and I'm sad to see people climbing them when they could be hacking.

We _never_ enforce that every person in the space is a member. I gave
two non-members a key last night in hopes that it would encourage them.

I totally forgot to check ID.

Doh,
Jake