[Noisebridge-discuss] unannounced groups of non-members at Noisebridge (esp. kids)

Jeremy Fitzhardinge jeremy at goop.org
Mon Jun 1 23:43:01 UTC 2009

Christie Dudley wrote:
> Noisebridge is not FOR children.  It is for hackers.  Helping people
> to understand this prevents Bad Things.
> [...]
> "I want us all to think about new and creative ways to engage young
> people in science and

Yes, but it is definitely FOR turning children into child-hackers.

As a parent who's interested in deflecting the
"science/engineering/hacking isn't for girls" meme before it can take
hold, I think:

    * the various posters, etc, are a non issue
    * swearing in the space is a non-issue
    * dangerous things need appropriate careful handling, regardless of
      whether there's kids around
    * kids who don't know the rules need to come with a supervisory
      someone who can keep them out of trouble and teach them the rules