[Noisebridge-discuss] Weird Stuff Safari:

d p chang weasel at meer.net
Tue Jun 2 01:20:15 UTC 2009

RyanC <ryan at ryanc.org> writes:

> On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 5:39 PM, Jonathan Foote <jtfoote at ieee.org> wrote:
>>
>> Weird Stuff, like most of these places, auctions off the really good
>> (and weird) stuff, and the rest is pretty well picked over by folks
>> who know what they are doing.

the one thing that irritated me about weird stuff was the 'fenced off'
area (this was a little while ago so i'm not sure it is setup this way
any more). there was a list of things back there, but unless you knew
exactly what differentiated a fooby-mark-v from a fooby-mark-v.1 getting
someone to let you verify anything was a pain.

oddly, i once worked at a place that unloaded a bunch of stuff to them
for what seemed to be 'by the pound' rather than take the trouble to
sell stuff to the employees.

> The as-is area is, as I said, a lot of fun to pick through.  I have
> found them willing to haggle over as-is stuff.

yeah. i think they're more likely to haggle than halted, and more likely
to have stacks of bits on display (halted might have stacks but maybe
not sitting on the floor).

\p
---
L'homme qui a le plus vécu n'est pas celui qui a compté le plus
d'années, mais celui qui a le plus senti la vie. - J.-J. Rousseau