[Noisebridge-discuss] Weird Stuff Safari:

d p chang weasel at meer.net
Tue Jun 2 01:20:15 UTC 2009

RyanC <ryan at ryanc.org> writes:

> On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 5:39 PM, Jonathan Foote <jtfoote at ieee.org> wrote:
>> Weird Stuff, like most of these places, auctions off the really good
>> (and weird) stuff, and the rest is pretty well picked over by folks
>> who know what they are doing.

the one thing that irritated me about weird stuff was the 'fenced off'
area (this was a little while ago so i'm not sure it is setup this way
any more). there was a list of things back there, but unless you knew
exactly what differentiated a fooby-mark-v from a fooby-mark-v.1 getting
someone to let you verify anything was a pain.

oddly, i once worked at a place that unloaded a bunch of stuff to them
for what seemed to be 'by the pound' rather than take the trouble to
sell stuff to the employees.

> The as-is area is, as I said, a lot of fun to pick through.  I have
> found them willing to haggle over as-is stuff.

yeah. i think they're more likely to haggle than halted, and more likely
to have stacks of bits on display (halted might have stacks but maybe
not sitting on the floor).

L'homme qui a le plus vécu n'est pas celui qui a compté le plus
d'années, mais celui qui a le plus senti la vie. - J.-J. Rousseau