[Noisebridge-discuss] Keys

Ed Hunsinger edrabbit at edrabbit.com
Tue Jun 2 19:49:26 UTC 2009

I feel like the mailing list lately has been a lot of people trying to
figure out all the possible edge cases that could come up (there are a bunch
of programmers with NB).  It's kind of out of hand and I feel sorry for
those that are joining the list after hearing about NB at Maker Faire.  That
being said, here's my contribution:

Personally I feel a little uneasy with the key situation.  Not bothered
enough to start up a lengthy discussion, until something bad actually
happens.

But it does confuse me when our wiki says:
When is Noisebridge open?

Our space (83c Wiese) is open 24/7 to good standing members. Non-members are
allowed to visit the space while another member is willing to accompany
them.

If everyone has a key, then how are we to determine who is a member and who
is not, and who it is alright to leave in the space when you leave?  A
meeting several weeks ago seemed to have resolve this with "anyone in the
space is cool", eliminating any need to check.  (This may not be the exact
resolution, but the meeting notes aren't on the wiki for several meetings?)

In addition to this, the wiki page describes a two other "privileges"
afforded to members in addition to consensus process: shelf space and junk
donation.

-Ed