[Noisebridge-discuss] adult themed posters in a do-acracy

njc4523 njc4523 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 01:53:38 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 12:22 AM, Jacob Appelbaum <jacob at appelbaum.net> wrote:

> I am certain that there is some dissent. However, it's a tough call. Is
> the steam powered dildo displaying adult material? Or is it just the
> posters? There is also a very strong culture of so called adult issues.

I don't view the dildo as part of the space as perhaps the decor is.
I can escape the dildo, but the hanging artwork is omnipresent.

> Noisebridge is a confusing space socially. Some number of people
> involved have worked in the sex industry and many continue to do so.
>
> Will we, as a group, need to tone down their projects and their
> interests in the space?

No, I'm not advocating that.

>> Jeffrey, thanks for your thoughtful response.  The posters have been
>> an issue for me for a while, but it's only the recent thread about
>> kids in NB that made my thoughts on this take full form.  I was
>> introduced to hacking as a kid by a mentor I'm eternally thankful to,
>> and I'd like to do the same for a child I serve as a role model to.
>> I'm not comfortable exposing her to adult material though.  I
>> personally don't care about profanity, and she's exposed to plenty of
>> that, but neither I nor her mother want her exposed to adult material
>> of a sexual nature.
>>

> That's a totally reasonable concern. I'm curious and I ask this with all
>  the respect possible: Why do you wish to bring her to Noisebridge
> knowing that we have adult themed material around?

In my perfect world, there'd be nothing at NB which would keep away
parents and others concerned about the welfare of children.  If
keeping the posters up is a foregone conclusion, the my interest in
bringing a kid there disappears.

> I sense that you like some parts of the group but wish to adapt the rest
> of the group to your other needs. This indicates to me that you're
> unfamiliar with how Noisebridge works.

Very true.  I've never been involved with a do-ocracy and was
wondering how things work in practical terms.  I think I know enough
now to have an informed opinion on it.

> How is it not an appropriate place for such material? Because you've
> said so? Because society at large says so? I am honestly curious and I
> invite you to reply. Or if you'd like, bring it up at the meeting
> tomorrow as a discussion point?

As much as I hate to say this, I think my answer is that community
standards dictate what's acceptable and what's not.  If NB were a
democracy, a simple vote about the issue would resolve the matter.
We'd know what the group considered acceptable.  However, in a
do-ocracy things are a little murkier.