[Noisebridge-discuss] Can someone fill in for ML Wednesday?

Jean Rintoul jean.rintoul at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 18:08:53 UTC 2009

Yeah. I'm going to the fire art thing at Langton too and would prefer not to
have this particular day. I'd re-do the ML intro some other time though, or
someone else is welcome to do it tonight.

Maybe we can take this opportunity to educate the ML group about fire arts?
Maybe the wii gestural controller could control fire and we could put in an
art grant for next years burning man and make a super huge version! (just
kidding! - or not :P )

Jean

-----
Begin forwarded message:
[June 3, 8pm: Learn 100% of the technical skills you need to make 80% of the
fire art you see at Burning Man. At Langton Labs, 9 Langton St, SF.]

HEY PUNKS. Want to set things on fire with machines? Greasy machines powered
by both batteries and propane? Maybe you just want to shoot fire out of the
top of your art car in August, or perhaps your plans call for some kind of
spinning, flaming, exploding, fornicating Monkey Head Karma Wheel Tribal
Spirit Chrysalis Victoria Engine. Did you for some reason think that these
things are difficult, or complicated? They are neither, if you have decent
SAT scores, no fear of death, and a few bucks for parts.

On Wednesday, June 3, I'm going to sit you down, treat you like moderately
intelligent engineers, and teach you all the technical skills you need to
build electronically-controlled accumulator-type (pressurized propane) flame
effects. There's no reason this should take more than an hour, but I'm
budgeting three. Accumulator effects are ubiquitous. When we're done you'll
be able to duplicate 80% of the fire art you see on the playa.. in principle
at least.

What you'll learn, time/intoxication permitting:

* Concept of operation/system design
* Pressurized propane plumbing skills
* Building a windproof pilot light
* Selecting the correct solenoid, pipe, fittings, tubing, whiskey
* Obtaining parts
* Getting the fucking valve stem off your putative accumulator
* Lying, cheating, stealing, holding you close, whispering into your ear
* Living out of the back of a beat up pickup truck
* Conforming to national and Burning Man fire safety standards; forging
laminates; proper use of contraception

Format TBD. We don't have time to do a complete build. Most likely a mix of
slides and demos, to include a live fire demo if circumstances permit. I'm
not going to teach you about microcontrollers, but if you know anything
about EECS it will be pretty bloody obvious how to hook your toys up to a
computer. If not, go to Noisebridge.

Cautions: like most people who do this, I am entirely self-taught, and can
only tell you what worked for me. In fact I know nothing whatsoever about
the nominal subject matter and will be making it up as I go. I believe in
the 80/20 approach to safety (take 80% of the precautions; immolate 20% of
the audience.) Expect to inhale propane and be set on fire. Physical safety
is important, but is not the only factor; without risk, danger, harm, and
uncertainty, we cannot achieve true psychological safety. Management
reserves all rights, including your own. You're all sinners and need to be
purified by the divine flame. Daddy knows best. Shut the fuck up.

2 Engineering Design Points. Part of your regularly scheduled Langton Labs
Wednesday Experiment curriculum.

June 3!
8pm sharp!
Langton Labs!
(9 Langton St, SF -- hardly a stroll from Civic Center BART)
Small donation may be requested, depending on expenses

"I said it's trivial.. I didn't say I'd done it."

* geoff-schmidt
((email . geoff at geoffschmidt.com)
(twitter . immir))