[Noisebridge-discuss] East Bay

nicoles nicoletbn at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 07:13:18 UTC 2009

Some counter-replies, inline.

On Fri, 5 Jun 2009 23:56, Rubin Abdi wrote:
> Some notes on NIMBY.
>
> * As Ed stated, the place can get really loud with others working on
> art
> or junk. Angle grinding is the knew holy shits loud.

Yep, it's generally a shop space, and a lot of people work on metal
stuff. Thus, loud. That said, it's not that way all the time, and if you
have a container or two between you and the grinding, it's significantly
quieter. The other option is to compete and be louder, which can also be
fun.

> * Snook pays for shit DSL. If you want real internet you'll have to
> figure something out along those lines.

Snook's totally agreeable for improving infrastructure though. There's a
number of projects like rfid badges, upgraded electricity, and cameras
to make sure theft doesn't become a problem, that are spearheaded by
other Nimby tenants. Peter's done a bunch of work on some, he'd be good
to talk to.

> * It's about a 15 minute block from Bart. Everyone should try the walk
> before deciding if it's worth while.

Definitely in a sketchy zone, though significantly less populated than
16/mission. I believe it does better on the crime maps than noisebridge.
I've walked home a number of times, and while biking is better, I don't
feel particularly in danger. Basically no one lives anywhere near it.

> * It can get cold during the winter. If you invest in some space
> heaters
> and keep the doors closed you should be fine.

This was much worse at nimby1. The new building is better insulated,
being made out of wood rather than corrugated fiberglass. I've found
that playing a game of ddr keeps me overly warm for at least a half hour
anyway! Plus, fire pit outside is toasty.

> * Snook may not be all that keen on hosting a hack space that'll be
> more
> or less public, such in the fashion that Noisebridge is (i.e. anyone is
> welcome to come by and check out the space if a member is willing to
> let
> that person in). Theft was a large issue at the old NIMBY, and so Snook
> gets annoyed when he sees people that he doesn't know in the space,
> especially if they're wandering around (as guests of Noisebridge tend
> do).

This was an issue with Nimby1, but Snook's now worked with larger groups
like Interpretive Arson, the Treehouse cre and Kinetic Steam Works, and
it doesn't seem to be an issue any longer. You may note that this nimby
is so public that they showed up at maker faire, and are hosting open
studios tomorrow. ;)

I will say that the place is more set up as a shop space than anything
else. Converting it to a clean-ish hackerspace would be a project for
sure. I'm trying to get one of the IA containers to exist as a clean
shop, and it's certainly requiring vigilance.

~nicoles