[Noisebridge-discuss] Computer hardware

John Menerick john.menerick at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 23:05:22 UTC 2009

I have been semi-working on this problem for too long now.
Personally, I have been working on cooling an identical version of the
HP server found upstairs.

Pretty much any type of oil will work for coolant (white oil/mineral
oil, veggie oil, motor oil, etc...)  You are looking for a low
viscosity liquid which is non-conductive and non-corrosive.  I prefer
liquids which do not have horrible MSDS sheets.  All you need is a
radiator, pump, and a holding/submersion tank.  One can find
integrated pumps and radiators cheaply on Ebay.

Lesson's learned:
A 6 gallon tank will not hold a 2U rack server.
Do not place non-SSD and/or optical drives into the coolant due to
friction and design issues with the drives.
Be careful of wicking.  Given time, coolant will find a way out of the
case.
Places will laugh and think you are crazy for ordering 6 gallons of
mineral oil.  Be prepared to hunt for mineral oil or shell out a chunk
of change for shipping/handling.

John Menerick
irc: liquidsun