[Noisebridge-discuss] hashclash MD5 collisions, and ps3 for Noisebridge

d p chang weasel at meer.net
Wed Jun 17 20:08:29 UTC 2009

Andy Isaacson <adi at hexapodia.org> writes:

> Marc Stevens, a co-author with our own David Molnar and Jacob Appelbaum
> of last winter's bombshell "MD5 Considered Harmful Today" paper, has
> released the code used to generate that MD5 collision.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/hashclash/
>
> The full paper is quite informative:
>
> https://documents.epfl.ch/users/l/le/lenstra/public/papers/lat.pdf

[ .. deletia .. ]

> In particular, it would be really great to implement this recently
> published attack:
> http://eprint.iacr.org/2009/259

i hadn't see the md5 one but i was definitely interested in the sha-1
result as we've a running argument at work about what to use to for any
new bits. the rate of 'weakening' is faster tahn i had thought.

> It looks like a PS3 40GB is available on ebay for around $300, which
> seems well within our abilities.  I'm in for $50 and I'll do the
> organizing and make the purchase -- is anyone else willing to kick in
> dollars?

i'm in. they seem even cheaper if you don't want a game although that
might involve actual bidding :-)

> I'm not a game console expert though -- could somebody who knows this
> stuff help me confirm what system we should buy for optimal Linux
> usage?

things like my first google hit

  http://www.plugeek.com/jeux-video/installer-linux-ubuntu-710-sur-votre-playstation-3-791.html

make me think that it is pretty straightforward and somewhat well
supported. i don't know what the sexy new linux distros would bring, but
i'm a big fan of running 'headless' for almost everything.

\p
---
I'm not happy. I'm cheerful. There's a difference. A happy woman has no
cares at all. A cheerful woman has cares but has learned how to deal
with them. - Beverly Sills