[Noisebridge-discuss] hashclash MD5 collisions, and ps3 for Noisebridge

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Thu Jun 18 18:59:06 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 09:09:38AM +0800, Jacob Appelbaum wrote:

> > It looks like a PS3 40GB is available on ebay for around $300, which
> > seems well within our abilities.  I'm in for $50 and I'll do the
> > organizing and make the purchase -- is anyone else willing to kick in
> > dollars?
>
> I'd wager that we can ask Sony to donate a few to us. If someone finds a
> contact at Sony who may be appropriate, I'll call them and ask.

Sounds awesome, but I want us to be making productive use of one, first.
:)

Also, clusters suck power.  If 83c is on the same PG&E schedule that I'm
on at home, running a 5-node cluster of 200W machines 24/7 will add
around $200 per month to our power bill; more, if you also have to
install AC to deal with the extra 3000 BTU / hour.

(Let's not think about what that means for running Deep Crack.  IIRC
I calculated the *power* cost of Deep Crack at $300 / key found.)

-andy