[Noisebridge-discuss] New space thread

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Sat Jun 20 04:10:05 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 05:17:47PM -0700, Matt Peterson wrote:
> * The existing lease ends in September?  Can the lease be posted to
> see if an early opt-out clause exists vs. rumors of one; or atleast
> some "officially from the board" statement on this?

This Is Not A Problem.  If Noisebridge finds a place to move to, the
lease on 83c will be dealt with.  Please talk to me in person if you
have concerns, 415-509-3112.

> * Generally SMB and personal moves overlap a few weeks or full month
> to move between spaces; do we have a consensus or strong feelings if
> more time is desired (along with the large budget strains this would
> imply)?

We'll overlap as necessary, probably taking occupancy of the new space a
month or a bit less before the end of the 83c lease.  I'm assuming there
will be a big move week, probably including a Tuesday where our meeting
consists of "There's a big truck outside, everybody help move stuff."

> * Many of the potential spaces listed on the wiki are of an industrial
> business nature with landlords shooting for 5 year terms.  Would be
> possible to work out terms somewhere along the line of the first month
> free to prepare the space (wiring, lighting, other infrastructure but
> "not used") along with 1yr first lease term, followed by 3 or 4 more
> years if we don't outgrow it again?  I ask since I have no experience
> negotiating these style of leases.

The sorts of spaces we're looking at tend to be a bit sketchy; several
of them are basically looking for cashflow while they wait for the
building to get condemned or for the lending/housing market to get
better so they can kick everybody out and loftificate the building.

> * Rumors has it a verbal fundraising round occurred at a meeting some
> months ago to jumpstart to "fill the kitty" with money for this.  Has
> this actually occurred?  If not (doesn't appear to based on the
> recently published budget), can we start this process ASAP?

Several people pledged a total of about $8k contingent on us finding a
place to move to.  AFAIK none of those pledges have turned into $ on the
barrelhead, since the contingency hasn't happened yet.

> * Assuming we stay in The Mission, it would be ideal to have roof
> rights for antennas.  In particular, having line-of-sight directly to
> the Valencia Gardens (15th/Valencia) or City College (22nd/Valencia)
> or other City of SF fiber nodes would be useful for the possibility of
> uber fast interwebs.  This generally requires promising the landlord
> you won't make the roof leaf and an update to insurance.  I've added a
> section on the wiki to note that panoramic-ish pictures from rooftops
> would be great for future space tours.

Please add it to the Moving/Desires list on the wiki.  We're looking for
the perfect space and we're going to have to balance all our competing
desires.

-andy