[Noisebridge-discuss] oh sysadmins of noisebridge, i have a question for ye

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 21:55:22 UTC 2009

---
Disrupting paradigms since 1967

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 2:29 PM, Jacob Appelbaum <jacob at appelbaum.net>wrote:

> Christie Dudley wrote:
> > - Tor has become compromised (!)
>
> Oh? Curious! I'm interested to know how and by whom. Tor is designed to
> resist many different kinds of compromises. We have multiple client
> implementations from different groups, servers are run by different
> parties (and not by the Tor project itself) and so on.

Yeah, I was really surprised when I heard this one.  I asked around after
any corroboration or explanation to this assertion, but couldn't find any.
I also told my Iranian friends to challenge it as well if they heard it.  So
far, nothing.

> - People are being advised to set up secure proxies all using the same key
>
> It's probably obvious that this is a disaster. Can you show me who's
> doing that? I'm more than happy to be the voice of reason.

Once again, floating in the realm of rumor.  I was pointed at a website that
included configuration which I didn't bookmark.

It's not really possible to do this with Tor and so it's probably some
> kind of SSL proxy thing, right?
>
> > - Many strange things about what (all) you need to do to remain safe
> >

> Yes, most of strange things being advocated are total nonsense. Is there
> anything in particular worth ripping apart?

There's a lot on this board that was being promoted by an Iranian friend:
http://iran.whyweprotest.net/index.php#IranElection  It's an interesting
mix.

I'd probably personally be more active in this if I had more experience in
security/anonymity or someone with more experience was taking a lead.  I
fear that with as little as I know, I'd not be any better than others who
are a concern.  After all, to me, privacy is a family value.

Christie