[Noisebridge-discuss] CFP: Zombie Apocalypse Preparedness series?

Shannon Lee shannon at scatter.com
Sun Jun 28 02:41:44 UTC 2009

I think this is a pretty awesome idea.  I've put up a wiki page:

https://www.noisebridge.net/index.php?title=Zombie_Apocalypse_Preparedness

I actually like the idea of doing a sort of extended, themed 5MoF style:
Two one-hour talks, followed by a field trip.  Start at three, be done with
the talks by 5 or 6, get dinner and meet up at the shooting range, batting
cage, dogo, etc.

In any case, getting some one-hour courses lined up is the first step, along
with some legwork doing research on the field trips.  I volunteer to scope
out & write up the rifle range in Oakland, as well as a local batting cage,
if some of you will start putting your names on ideas for courses; once we
have some actual talks / seminars fleshed out, along with an idea for what
the field trips are going to cost, I think we have a great way to spend
Sunday afternoons.

--S

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 4:47 PM, Josh Myer <josh at joshisanerd.com> wrote:

> It occurred to me that we should do a zombie apocalypse preparedness
> series at noisebridge, perhaps on Sunday evenings.
>
> "What is zombie apocalypse preparedness?" you ask.  Why, it's disaster
> preparedness, capped off with a trip to the rifle range and booze, of
> course!
>
> Here's what I thought might each be a fun Sunday afternoon/evening:
>
>  * Another round of First Aid and CPR certification
>  * A talk by local amateur radio ARES/RACES operators
>  * A trip to a rifle range (ie: not just small-bore handguns)
>  * A talk on brewing and distillation of alcohol (we probably oughtn't
>     run a still in the space, however...)
>
> What else would belong in the series, especially on the disaster
> preparedness front?  The above is a month-long series of Sundays if we
> do them one per day; we can probably fit more than that in.
>
> Is anyone stoked about one of the above to coordinate it?  I don't
> really have time to make all of these happen, but would love to help a
> small team put it together.
> --
> Josh Myer   650.248.3796
>  josh at joshisanerd.com