[Noisebridge-discuss] Public access laptops

aestetix aestetix aestetix at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 22:09:57 UTC 2009

Rubin and I were chatting last night about making craptops available for the
public. Occasionally someone just wanders in, sees cool things going on, and
wants to join in on IRC or do some basic web browsing, and there is no
system available to them.

Here is a potential solution we came up with. A lot of people have old
laptop systems that we could convert into dumb terminals.... basically set
them up with elinks, irssi, and a few other things (no need for a gui) for
basic accessibility, and allow anyone to use them. You can do this with very
cheap hardware, and it might be good for the community in general. If there
are five people on laptops and one who wants to be but forgot theirs, they
could just pick up a spare system and join the club.

I'm thinking it would not be hard to make maybe a half dozen of these
available. They do not have to be good, they don't even necessarily need to
support wireless (although that would be a plus). We have a lot of other
ideas involving this (including an account on pony for members to save
projects), but I wanted to see what people thought of this first.