[Noisebridge-discuss] Other Python classes

Al Sweigart asweigart at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 20:29:56 UTC 2009

I've been thinking about leading a different Python group with a
different focus from Asheesh's great Python nights.

* Python programming for nonprogrammers - Not so much for learning
Python as learning programming by learning Python. Aimed at total
beginners with no experience programming.
* wxPython - wxPython is a GUI toolkit to create Python programs with
graphical user interfaces (rather than just console input/output)
* PyGame - PyGame is a library focused on games and 2D graphics.
* Web applications with Python - Creating interactive web sites. Cover
some basic HTML, JavaScript, SQL along with Python for the backend.
Maybe cover the Django web app framework later.

How much interest is out there for each of these four ideas? What's a
good night? If I run it, it'd probably be 7pm at the earliest during the
week.

I'm more intent on focusing on practical applications than anything
else. The classes I'd have in mind would be more workshop than lecture,
that is, each night people are guided through actually building
something rather than having information disseminated to them.

-Al