[Noisebridge-discuss] Proposed After Effects / VFX compositing class

Aaron Muszalski sfslim at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 20:50:27 UTC 2009

Howdy Noisebridgers!

While many of you already know me, there's an increasing number of you
who don't (and who I hope to meet in the coming weeks). My name is
Aaron Muszalski, although most people know me as Slim, and, among
other things, I'm a professional Visual Effects Artist, who formerly
worked at Industrial Light + Magic. I currently teach classes in VFX
at the San Francisco Academy of Art University, including classes on
Compositing, Rotoscoping and Digital Paint. Applications used in my
classes include Photoshop, After Effects, Shake (though less so since
Apple killed it), Commotion, Combustion and Silhouette.

Anyhoople, as an avowed Anarchist and a longtime believer in free
culture, free education and so forth (the whole "From Each According
To Her Abilities, To Each According To Her Needs" enchilada) I've been
wanting to share my professional knowledge to anyone who might be
interested. And, if my conversations with many of you over the past
year are any indication, a lot of interest exists.

To that end I propose to teach a weekly VFX compositing class, either
at Noisebridge or, if it proves to be more optimal, as a
Noisebridge-branded event at some other space. The class would run
approximately the same duration as the classes I teach at the Academy
- fifteen weeks - give or take a few depending on my schedule, which
can be complex at times. Depending on when the class commences I also
may need to schedule a hiatus for part of June, as that is when I
travel to the Burning Man work ranch in Nevada and build the Burning
Man.

So, here's my proposal, submitted for your approval (or argument, or
interrogation, or generalized ambient gnashing of teeth):

Class: Professional Visual Effects Compositing in Adobe After Effects
Instructor: Aaron Muszalski
Schedule: Thursdays, 7-9pm
Covers: VFX basics, photo-realism, leaning to see, bluescreen /
greenscreen keying, motion tracking, rotoscoping, color correction,
spill supression, and other assorted advanced and esoteric VFX voodoo

THE FEEDBACK THAT I AM MOST INTERESTED IN IS REGARDING MY PROPOSED
SCHEDULE. Is 7-9pm Thursday a good time for both the space and for
interested students. Are there any potential conflicts that would
_necessitate_ an alternate time?

Lastly, I'd love to hear a show of hands of people who'd like to
participate in such a class!

Thanks!

Slim
sfslim at gmail.com