[Noisebridge-discuss] Re: Expanding Noisebridge

Josh Myer josh at joshisanerd.com
Mon Mar 9 22:21:24 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 02:46:09PM -0700, Rachel McConnell wrote:

> Having certain events at other locations will surely be necessary but I
> hope it is never more than a temporary stopgap measure.  There are a
> couple of reasons. First, because it's not reasonable to ask people to
> have a permanent weekly meeting at their house (and changing the
> location weekly increases the minimum attention requirement
> drastically).  Also, and perhaps more importantly, because as things
> move away from Noisebridge physically, they will also tend to drift away
> psychologically, decreasing the value of Noisebridge for everyone.

This is why I'm very hesitant to take Ian up on his (most excellent)
offer.  Part of why I do the ML thing is to get people into the space
for something besides hacking on hardware, and moving that out of the
space sort of undermines the message of "Come here to hack on cool
algorithmics, too!"

I'd also like to point out that I never replied to the schedule
"conflict" between ML and go.  I'm not concerned about such things:
it's a free space, and I appreciate the thoughtfulness, but there's
plenty of room for ML alongside any other group on Wednesdays.  We're
a pretty small crowd, and, so long as you don't mind having the lights
off in the main space, we'll all get along nicely.  Our only real need
is the projector, and that's probably more flexible than I think.
--
Josh Myer   650.248.3796
  josh at joshisanerd.com