[Noisebridge-discuss] Lasers for Noisebridge

Chris Paget ivegotta at tombom.co.uk
Wed Mar 11 20:03:31 UTC 2009

It's pretty easy to get hold of relatively high-power solid-state
lasers; http://felesmagus.com/pages/lasers-howto.html is a ridiculously
simple guide to obtaining a 200mW+ visible red laser pointer from a $20
DVD-RW drive and a sacrificial laser pointer for a collimating lens.
I've built a couple of these; the red dot can be seen on surfaces well
over a mile away and you can see the beam in a dim room.  The IR version
I made is just plain scary (but shows up quite well on a CCD).

Short version: lasers are cheap, fun, and hella dangerous.  Bring it :)

Chris