[Noisebridge-discuss] Science meeting time yet to be determined. Uderstood that Py-Class will continue

Michael Kan Kan michaelkan_kan at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 13 22:34:05 UTC 2009

Jim,

 So I have not gotten any consensus or any approval of the Thursday evening.
 Am not sure if there is any interest in open science or engineering
discussions.

 It may be that there is a general feeling that science and engineering is
a little too advanced for most here. Most here have technical knowledge
when it comes to the building of stuff.

 There seems to be a lot of coders here. I am not one of them.
 Most are far better at the keyboard than I.
 Am more of a visual and natural thinker.  Not good at committee generated
knowledge such as language especially computer language standards.

 I can make sense of circuits and mechanics that are open. ICs are more
like computer languages as there are whole often hidden complex functions
within them. That is why I have not started doing anything with them.

 Do not know if this is more of a cultural issue than a technical one.

 Knowing " Why " is often as important as " How " and most people often
get lost in a detail forest of " How ".

 Having and maintaining overview is as important as the details.

 Another problem is that few can actually define what the problem is.
 Know the details of the problem makes the solution simpler.

 Most seem to have good ideas and know how to use tools, but get lost when
the time of building stuff comes around.
 This is when having good engineering skills really helps to account
for local material differences it comes to the existing plans.

 Also there is the " Top down ", the " Bottoms up " and the
" Middle Muddle " approach of design.

 Most prefer having actual plans or recipes for building baking stuff.

 So I will have to let the people's feelings dictate the outcome of this
over the next few weeks.

 Mike Kan