[Noisebridge-discuss] openeeg

Jean Rintoul jean.rintoul at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 01:44:11 UTC 2009

Hiya,

I'd just like to add that I think you can get some good stuff out of EEG,
and it isn't all just noise. Noise is a big problem and I agree that it is
hard to detect anything reliably. This is why you can use learning
algorithms.
The Emotiv headset is an example of this, and you will find some believers
out there who tried it at the 3 GDC's it was exhibited at, as random people
could come up and try it. There are many complex technical hurdles to
overcome to get something to work reliably on all people, cheaply. Also, you
can most definitely see alpha, some muscle movements and eye movements
plainly and simply with the naked eye using a BioSemi EEG headset... no
mystery there.

It's true, EEG won't read your mind or see your dreams currently, but it's
limitations are due to different types of noise, spacial smearing/absorption
over your skull, and your abilities to isolate Event Related
Potential<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Event-related_potential>'s
through machine learning algorithms. You can most definitely recognise and
distinguish different types of muscle movements, again limited by how well
you can repeat the same action, and how good your algorithm is. It's an open
area of research, and there needs to be more EEG based development. Here is
some:
http://ida.first.fhg.de/projects/bci/competitions/

This one is MRI, but still, impressive to think about what we can see non
invasively? MRI is much lower sample rate but higher res than EEG.
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v452/n7185/full/nature06713.html

At Emotiv, a research engineer/electronic music producer guy called Glen
mapped the arousal algorithm through to music, as well as playing out the
raw EEG in matlab. Turns out raw EEG multiplied up into the audible range
didn't sound so sweet. Glen basically changed the music tempo, adding layers
of compelxity to the track based on your arousal score. This sounded much
nicer than raw EEG! Again, it wasn't some sort of psychic music creation
system... but depended on how creatively you could interpret the signals.

Other sensors can also be intelligently integrated, like GSR and pulse
oximeters. Making a basic EEG(just a couple of electrodes) and integrating
with these sensors could tell you a huge amount about a person's mental and
physical state. Seems like this could be used for lots of interesting
projects.

Jean