[Noisebridge-discuss] OpenEEG meetup

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 21 18:34:25 UTC 2009

I am way excited about the OpenEEG group starting up!  I have a set of OpenEEG hardware boards (which consists of one digital board and one analog board with 4 channels).  The hardware works great.  The main challenge is electrodes.  Together with Tracy we made some of Pedro's Active Electrodes.  They seemed to work, sorta, but they generated lots of random noise that blotted out everything.

The Shifz people created a robot (as Jake said) for Roboexotica that determines the perfect ratio of vermouth to gin for you state of mind and makes a martini customized for you on the spot.  This project is mainly for fun, but the technology behind it really does work.  Chris Viegle is one of the people who created the project.  It was part of his learning to use the technology.  He wrote BrainBay, which is a visual programming language for controlling OpenEEG.  It is fantastic software!  With lots of digital filtering built in to extract brainwave data.  Chris uses very simple passive electrodes, and they work very well.  He started on this path because his mom has MS, and was getting (understandably) very depressed as her conditione worsened to the point where she couldn't communicate with the outside world.  He wanted a way to help her communicate.  He got his system to the point where she could communicate very simple things using her brainwaves, such as "yes" or "no" with the help of a laptop.  Chris wanted to have her be able to move a cursor with her brain, but that had limited success.  But with the help of this his mom became less depressed and he MS became much better.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it to the first meetup this Thursday.  I"m normally free, but this Thursday is the only time I can meet with 3 others (we had to plan this date 3 months in advance in order to ensure all 4 of us could schedule a time together that we were all free! -- how is it that we have made our lives this busy?!)  But I'll see if I can bring my OpenEEG boards in for others to check out.

Mitch.