[Noisebridge-discuss] 83A Wiese

Jeffrey Malone ieatlint at tehinterweb.com
Wed Mar 25 13:37:50 UTC 2009

I think that expansion is a great idea in principle, as the current
space has numerous constraints.  Also, I understand it, 83A would also
give us roof access (and thus, make a wireless uplink possible, which
could give us much better internet access)... which could be very
nice.

But I also see two major problems with the idea of taking over 83A.
Firstly, one that has not been discussed much: Noise.
People moving between the spaces, and potential for downstairs
neighbour getting far more noise could create new complaints that we
don't need.  At present, we have the occasional people outside
smoking, and otherwise people just coming and going.  If things are
split between two spaces, we'd have far more people outside and moving
between.

Then the constantly stated problem... money.
Our current costs are approx. $3k/month.  We presently have 57
members..  I don't know the spread between people paying $40, $80, or
whatever, but if half of those members pay $40 and the other half $80,
that's only $3420/mo -- not even close to the ~$5k we'd need to
support both spaces.
Even if all our members paid $80, we'd be short of the $5k needed each month.

Additionally, we may have 57 members, but seemingly we're not getting
money from all of them.  I don't want to put spotlight on anyone, but
merely state the liability of assuming that each member is paying on
time when we routinely hear from Mitch of people missing their dues
(nearly half of them have not paid for March, according to a recent
posting from Mitch on this board).

So while I see countless benefits in having more space -- especially
space that can be separated to provide quiet spaces for people to
work, I have to say that it's simply not at all realistic to take on
more monthly expenses at this time.  Sadly, I also question if we've
come close to our capacity for our current space... the overcrowding
at times might impede people from joining, and reduce people's ability
to work in the space.  Perhaps a catch 22, but not one that can be
solved by signing a lease we can't afford.

As Christie stated, I think the only viable option for us is to wait
our the current lease, and discuss moving to a larger location a month
or two prior to the expiration of the lease.
Even if the money did materialise, I think a discussion about whether
we'd want to stay at 83c for another year is in order.