[Noisebridge-discuss] free junk: weird portable style pc computer

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 21:25:20 UTC 2009

Oooh, a lunchbox!  The earliest luggables had the screen on the end (think
o-scope form factor), IIRC, so this is clearly 2nd generation.  I had one of
these for a long time because they didn't make PCMCIA ethernet cards that
would go into promiscuous mode and nobody had implemented this whole "port
mirroring" thing yet.  Although mine had an actual color screen.

I'd wager it's no later than a 386, though (like mine).  Possibly a 286
(like the v1).  By the time 486's were rolling around, pcmcia had evolved
and there really wasn't any reason to make a the lunchbox any more.

But I couldn't imagine a use for it at all.

Christie

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 1:56 PM, Michael Shiloh <michaelshiloh1010 at gmail.com
> wrote:

> it's ancient, so don't take this for processing power: it's probably a 486.
>
> the form factor is pretty unique, and may appeal to someone.
>
> it's an early luggable. it stands on your desk like a small briefcase, with
> the screen (early LCD or perhaps VFD? Certainly monochrome, probably orange)
> on the side, so you face the side of the briefcase. Keyboard snaps onto
> screen for transportation and protection.
>
> i think the motherboard has some slots, probably ISA.
>
> it's an SRL discard, and has been opened and played with. "some assembly
> required".
>
> any interest?
>
> by the way, the box of junk i brought over awhile back, is there any
> remaining junk that i need to cart away? i promised to be responsible with
> anything that none of you wanted.
>
> michael

I refuse to give up childish things.