[Noisebridge-discuss] GYB_C: temporary hackerspace wants YOU!

munkeyfreenix batcat munkeyfreenix.batcat at gmail.com
Sat May 2 10:54:20 UTC 2009

Anyone want to help organize this? Currently it is myself and a friend, and
since we are both busy, shit keeps getting post-poned.

The first event was supposed to be this Sunday, May 3 but we had to postpone
for a few reasons. To get it going, though, a few extra hands would be
invaluable.

Here's the short of it:

What the hell is it called?: GYB_C (maybe one day you will figure out what
it means...hehehe)
Monthly temporary hacker space party (maybe twice a month if there are
enough folks in on it. If we totally have it together, it could be weekly
perhaps).

Location: Oakland, at Godspeed. This place is great; a bike (as in
motorcycle) shop/tattoo parlor by day, bar at night. And they decorated the
inside to look kinda like Castle Grayskull. The people are really excited to
have us, as well. They are bikers, and the concept of hackers to them is
well...really interesting.

Time: Sundays -- 5ish until 2am. Mind that Godspeed's all you can eat
waffles goes Sundays until 3pm, so we'd probably start around 5, officially.
Workshops/video screenings from 6-9. Showing up would not necessarily mean
you must participate in these events. Bring stuff and do it. Free form, etc
9pm Performers/DJs start playing and we go until 2am, play pool, drink beer,
keep hacking away, whatever. Might be best not to leave your fragiles
hanging around, although we are looking into if the hackspace can move into
a room upstairs. So you can keep soldering while at the bar...see?

Basically its a sunday night party, and we don't want to decide whether to
stay home and work on that project or go out and wish we hadn't. Bring
projects, at your own risk.

Ok, you can stop reading now if you are interested in coming, or couldn't
care less. And if you're scared of Oakland, don't be a wuss. There will be
big bikers there to protect you.

If you want to help out, here is the long of it:

We've got the line-up for the first event already. But we want to showcase
musicians working with modded gear or have done some really cool dsp
programming or jack ninja routing, so if this is you, or you know someone,
contact me at this email address.

We're going to be screening videos throughout the night, so if you have any
cool vids (preferably with english subtitles!) that would be great. If
you've made a video, even better! A bunch of Def-con videos are at our
disposal as well.

We also want folks to do workshops. So if anyone wants to have GYB_C host a
workshop because there will be beer, skulls, and big scary bikers in a bar
that looks like castle from a bad 70s film, let me know. I've also talked
with Sam Bowne from CCSF about doing some of the web goat projects 'on
location'.

Played around with having games of 'capture the flag', where the flag could
be something interesting, not just rooting a computer, as that will get
boring.

Also, we're from the Spaz/5lowershop/Katabatik community, so the music will
definitely be electronic, but not overworn bad psy-trance and house. Cutting
edge electronic, breakbeat, noise, ambient, hardcore, and other stuff that
gets folks dancing. Once we test out their sound system, we'll see if we
need to bring in some serious bass bins ; )

Mutant fest (http://www.mutantfest.org/)  is just around the corner, so
we're hoping to get 2 events in at least before mutant fest, and hopefully
also have a presence there. If we have our own hacker camp, even better.

If you want to be a part, email me with your phone number and good times to
call. i will probably email you first.

lvnrvltn
justin