[Noisebridge-discuss] Giant space explosion detector

Dr. Jesus j at hug.gs
Fri May 1 08:41:27 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 04:14:42AM -0700, Michael C. Toren wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 02:38:53AM -0700, Dr. Jesus wrote:
> > I would like to make this useful again, and you might be able to
> > help.  Here are some of my ideas:
>
> I was chatting with Dr. Jesus in IRC about this, and he started
> explaining a bit how NASA distributes the data.  I summarized that
> conversation and put some notes up on the wiki at:
>
>     https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Gamma_Ray_Burst
>
> > 4) Provide a repeater service for the live x-ray and gamma ray feeds
> > from the satellites.  Right now, the data is only available to people
> > who receive the downlink directly; I'm not aware of any University or
> > other group which repeats the data to the public using the intarwebs.
>
> I'm interested in helping set up a repeater service as a first step, as
> it seem like anything else we do with the data would depend on it being
> made available to a wider audience.  It also seems like this should be
> an easy thing to do.  If anyone else is interested in working on this
> piece of it, please let me know.

Sweet!  I'm still super busy, but I'll still help as much as I can.

Maybe a good first step would be running the IRC bot on #noisebridge
on freenode?

I think I saw a few other people doing twitter API stuff, so maybe
feeding GRB events to twitter might also be a good first step?

If you run it for a while you'll eventually have a giant space
explosion in the logs, and that will make it clear which packets are
actually used out of the huge list of packet types in the docs.  I
should also point out that the URLs to the pictures seem to expire
something like an hour after the GRB triggers the satellite's internal
sensors.