[Noisebridge-discuss] Haschool

Jason Dusek jason.dusek at gmail.com
Sat May 9 01:58:24 UTC 2009

  It's been suggested that a Haskell class would be welcome at
  NoiseBridge.

  My preferred timeslot is 18:00/19:30 on Tuesdays. Please do
  let me know what you think of that, especially if there is a
  conflict. In the absence of any strong contention on that
  point, the first class is on Tuesday, the 12th of May at 18:00
  PDT.

  I've done a bit of Haskell teaching one-on-one; however, I've
  not got a lot of teaching experience. I hope to improve myself
  as a result of this class. Let's work together to ensure the
  material remains relevant and engaging.

  Topics for first class:

 .  Haskell is special.

 .  Things to use for Haskell programming.

   .  GHC compiler/intepreter. Students on less common platforms
      (Amiga, PlayStation, PalmOS) should contact the
      instructor.

   .  Cabal build system and helpful package manager.

   .  Editor modes.

     .  EMACS has long had a Haskell mode but something about it
        is screwy in the latest version. The Gentoo devs patched
        it in their tarball, though.

     .  Vim has syntax support and in addition there's a VimBall
        full of extra stuff. Your instructor regularly uses Vim
        with this mode for Haskell editing.

 .  Building and using a simple library to download warez.

   .  Download/install Haskell's CURL bindings.

   .  Write simple program to download warez.

   .  Download lots of warez and experience handle exhaustion.

  Haskell is very improving for any level of programmer. Many of
  us learn computation through the model of the Von Neumann
  machine, the stored program computer with mutable memory
  cells. Haskell invites us to consider computation from the
  perspective of the typed lambda calculus. You'll be learning
  to program all over again.

--
Jason Dusek

 | GHC compiler/interpreter. |
  Save yourself a lot of trouble and use the binaries :)
  http://www.haskell.org/ghc/download_ghc_6_10_2.html#binaries

 | Cabal build system and helpful package manager. |
  http://www.haskell.org/cabal/download.html

 |...VimBall full of extra stuff. |
  http://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/people/staff/cr3/toolbox/haskell/Vim/

 | EMACS has long had a Haskell mode...|
  http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Haskell_mode_for_Emacs

 | The Gentoo devs patched it in their tarball...|
  http://distfiles.gentoo.org/distfiles/haskell-mode-2.4_p20080826.tar.bz2

 |...screwy in the latest version...|
  Discussion begins at 18:17:32.
  http://tunes.org/~nef/logs/haskell/09.05.08