[Noisebridge-discuss] Membership meeting notes for May 5th, 2009

Michael C. Toren mct at toren.net
Sat May 9 11:28:24 UTC 2009

(oops, sorry for not sending this sooner)

Meeting started at Tue May  5 20:09:01 PDT 2009

Treasurers Report:  Mitch is away.  It's May 5th, which means it's time to
pay dues for May.  If you don't know how to make a payment, check the wiki
payment methods, or ask someone for help.

Maker Faire:

    - Rachel is coordinating.  Signup on the webpage if you want to
      volunteer, or if you have a project you want to bring.  We have
      about fourish project to bring right not, and could use more.

    - We believe we have free passes available to everyone who
      attends, but that is an open question if those are limited to
      those volunteering for Circuit Hacking.

    - Other logistics to work out include scheduling time for people
      to be at the booth, and transportation for people and things.
      Rachel will decide on a time to meet and send it out to the
      list.

Resurrection of the weblog: Rubin setup a new Noisebridge blog which lives
at http://noisebridge.starset.net/.  If your blog has an RSS feed for a
specific category, it will work like a planet, and aggregate your content.

A moment of silence for fravia, who recently passed away.  More
information at http://fravia.com/swansong.htm.

Project updates:

    Circuit Hacking every Monday at 8pm is continuing.  Miloh is
    helping out which Mitch is away.

    Machine Learning continues every Wednesday at 8pm

    Science and Engineering Huddle on Thursdays at 8pm

    German natural language is happening on Thursdays.  Beginners
    should come at 6pm, more advanced participants come later.

    Sensebridge Cyborg Group meets on Sundays at 11am

    OpenEEG is in an unknown status.

    Five Minute of Fame is taking place on May 21st.

    DC3 Digital Forensics Challenge is ongoing

    Go takes place on Sundays at 3pm

Membership binder:

    - The matter of John Waters was discussed again briefly.  The
      person who blocked consensus last time was not present for this
      meeting, and there was a question as to if consensus could be
      reached with him absent.  Rachel said no, that's not how
      consensus should work, and blocked on those grounds.

    - Members up this week, and present:

        Michael Toren
        Meredith Scheff

      Consensus was reached to accept both as members (yay!)

(Two discussions took place while I was out getting beer during the
membership consensus on myself -- one about Toor Camp, and one about
searching for a larger space.  If anyone has any notes regarding these
discussions, please feel free to add them.)

Guests in the space:

    Rubin raised the issue that on Friday or Saturday, he came to
    the space, and there were other people there he didn't know.  He
    happened to go get something to eat, and then ended up going home.
    Later, he wondered if he should have left with guests present.
    He deducted after the fact that these were probably DIYBio people,
    however he didn't see anyone in the group he recognized from
    Noisebridge.  Question to the group:  Should there be guidelines
    on the wiki about how to deal with guests in the space?  If there
    are guests in the space, should a Noisebridge member be present?
    Has this already been discussed somewhere?  It feel familiar, but
    he wasn't able to find anything searching the wiki.

    Question:  Did the group lock up the space when they left?
    Unknown.  One proposal mentioned was ensuring that someone left in
    the space is able to lock it when they leave.  It was pointed out
    that the doorknob can be locked without a key, but the deadbolt
    cannot be.

    At one point there was an idea that only members have keys.

    Jake: Being a member is not a requirement to have a key.  At one
    point early on, who had a key to the space and who didn't caused
    some big social drama.  As a solution, the lock was picked, keys
    were copied, and handed out to anyone and everyone.  Part of the
    reason to hand out keys is to make everyone feel very welcome
    right from the start.

    A question about insurance was raised.  Insurance covers the
    space, but not the contents (e.g., laptops) in it.

    Rubin:  As part of my responsibilities of being a member, should I
    continue allowing guests to be here when I leave?  General answer:
    Yes.  Rubin is satisfied, and the discussion ends.

A goodbye to Asheesh, who is leaving San Francisco for Atlanta.  We'll
miss you!

Stuff in the way of the corner shelf:  A lot of stuff has started to
accumulate in the corner shelf area.  There's a folding table (which is
ours), t-shirts, and a couple other things.  A few people are going to
get together after the meeting and try to rearrange some of it to allow
for better access.

Next meeting: Jonathan will run the next meeting on May 12th.

Meeting ended at Tue May  5 21:21:23 PDT 2009