[Noisebridge-discuss] why we should all love the OGC

deleted arbzed at gmail.com
Thu May 7 22:21:19 UTC 2009

I'd put them more on par with the W3C, ANSI or IEEE.

 EFF works doggedly to protect civil liberties.  FSF enforces copyleft and
runs political campaigns to promote free software.

OGC is a consortium of geospatial industry insiders who have had some
success banding together against ESRI, which has historically been the
Oracle of the GIS world.  They are really good at holding meetings and
publishing voluminous night-impenetrable standards documents, but nothing
they do is explicitly socially or politically progressive.

Standards are good.  Monopoly-busting is good.  The OGC has been instumental
in enabling interoperability of the free & open source geospatial tools that
are available today, which is awesome, and really important.

But EFF it ain't.