[Noisebridge-discuss] Haschool

Jason Dusek jason.dusek at gmail.com
Sat May 9 22:56:52 UTC 2009

2009/05/09 d p chang:
> Jason Dusek <jason.dusek at gmail.com> writes:
>> Haskell invites us to consider computation from the
>> perspective of the typed lambda calculus.
>
> i've not thought at this level in a while, but isn't lambda
> calculus normally thought of as being normal order (pun
> intended :-) rather than haskell's lazy order?

  Well, normal order (outermost first) is actually quite
  compatible with Haskell's lazy evaluation. When you evaluate
  (at define time or at use time) is distinct from the order
  you evaluate in (leftmost or rightmost).

  To consider laziness in context with referential transparency,
  evaluation strategies and sharing would make for a long email.
  This is certainly a direction we could take in the course. (I
  would learn some things, for sure.)

--
Jason Dusek