[Noisebridge-discuss] Interaction with the police during the night of the 31st in regards to the fire escape and ladder to roof.

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Mon Nov 2 10:31:18 UTC 2009

At some point in time during the night a police officer came up to our
front gate on the ground floor. He wanted to talk to someone in charge.
I went ahead and told him that was me.

He stated that as he was passing by in his squad car he observed someone
climbing our fire escape ladder onto the roof. I profusely apologized,
explained that I had the area roped off and the door was locked, but
would be more then happy to go up to the roof and get that person down.
His reply was that he didn't want anyone hanging out on the fire escape
nor using the fire escape ladder to get onto the roof, and that if he
saw anyone else go up he'll want to enter the building and investigate
himself. I thanked him for his time, told him it wont happen again and
he left.

Afterward Andy I, Josh M and I checked the area with the ladder that was
still roped off. Andy and I got onto the roof and found someone that has
at some point in time been a Noisebridge member (unsure if this person
still is), explained to this person that no one was allowed on the roof
unless doing maintenance work. The person's response was that they were
under the impression access was allowed for anyone part of the space,
and that they didn't know it was actually not allowed, and thus began to
apologize and got down and back into the space.

Knowing that the police were surely in a perky mood for the night I
double checked that the roped off caution tape was still up. I didn't
bother putting up a sign or anything thinking lighting wasn't going to
strike twice. Sure enough an hour later I was on the street seeing what
kind of crap the Guardian Angels where getting themselves into, when I
looked up and noticed a hand full of people hanging out on the fire
escape. In a lovingly pissed off tone I asked everyone to get the fuck
back inside. Later on I found a few of the people (for the most part
Noisebridge members or guests not part of SF0) that were on the fire
escape and explained why I didn't want them there for the night. I then
proceeded to caution tape the fuck out of the glass door and kept an eye
on it for the rest of the night.

Anyhow, as far as my interactions with the officer went it sounded like
he was just really on edge during that particular night and didn't want
anyone hurting themselves. He didn't state that any laws had been broken
of violated, but did make it clear that if he saw anyone going up via
the fire escape, he wanted to be let into our space.

Also again I want to state that the person found on the roof is or was a
member and not someone through SF0 or the game, and those I could see on
the fire escape later on were also very much Noisebridgers and again not
just part of the game.

A side note, this was the same officer that pulled me over and ticketed
me for running a red light on my bicycle. Good times.

--
Rubin Abdi
rubin at starset.net