[Noisebridge-discuss] Laptop seizures by the SFPD

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Thu Nov 26 21:56:55 UTC 2009

Hi,

I'm sure most of the people on this list have heard about the recent
laptop seizures by the SFPD. If you haven't, I really suggest you read
this summary by jwz:
http://www.dnalounge.com/backstage/log/2009/11/26.html

One of the most disturbing reports of these raids is probably this bit:

At this point there were uniformed officers on the scene as well. Miller
started to cry. "I begged him. I said, 'This is my livelihood. You're
taking my laptop. This is my livelihood. I hope you realize that.' He
said, 'This is how you're going to learn then, I guess.'"

Make sure you're encrypting your laptop(s), make backups and fight this
shit if you happen to get caught up in such a raid.

If you know people who have had a laptop or a computer seized by the
SFPD at a party, make sure the EFF knows about!

Best,
Jake