[Noisebridge-discuss] If you have a jailbroken iPhone with OpenSSH installed...

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Wed Nov 4 19:45:29 UTC 2009

This may not be helpful, but in case it is, I'm sending it on.

My iphone is a plain old 3GS - purchased from the store - no jail-breaking
-- completely legal.

However, if the root default password is standard like that, I wanted to
change it to eliminate possible security risks. I did the following:

1) Connected to my webserver to see what IP address is recorded (in access
logs),
2) Then tried ssh'ing to root at that IP address from a terminal -- large
delay/ctrl-c and another approach
3) From the phone, using TouchTerm Pro, I tried doing the same as above. The
connection was refused "Could not connect to server"
4) I tried root at 127.0.0.1 and saw different behavior:

SSH connection error
debug1: Connecting to 127.0.0.1 [127.0.0.1] port 22.
debug1: connect to address 127.0.0.1 port 22: Connection..
ssh: connect to host 127.0.0.1 port 22: Connection refused

I have no direct terminal into the phone to see more...

Cheers,

Glen