[Noisebridge-discuss] Security group update

aestetix aestetix aestetix at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 22:06:37 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 1:58 PM, Josh Myer <josh at joshisanerd.com> wrote:

> Clearly, this needs an HDTV donated: http://xkcd.com/350/
>
> No comment. :)

> One quick question, which will put a lot of our minds at ease: how are we
> keeping this system from affecting/infecting the rest of the local network
> and the internet at large?

This is more of an ops question, but I have briefly discussed it with Andy.
First, the insecure systems are in a VM that's only accessible from within
the network, unless you want to set up port forwarding. All the VMs are
either off or suspended unless someone is actively using them. Also, if we
start working on anything that's potentially malicious (like polymorphic
malware), it would be on a system that isn't hooked up to the rest of the
network. I'm actually holding off on a malware machine until we get the
hazardous network set up.

The machine I referenced that has the Joomla install is fully patched on
every other count.